Saturday, February 27, 2010

Decorate with canned tomato labels

Do you eat a lot of canned tomatoes? Canned tomato labels are brightly-colored and contain some great graphics for thrifty DIY decorating in the kitchen. 

utensil holder2

Fortunately, my kitchen colors are red, yellow, blue & green, so finding labels to match was very easy. I used them to make a utensil holder.

utensil holder

(1)For my utensil holder, I needed a large coffee can, but I don't drink coffee (I know, crazy). Thankfully, a kind freecycler had one for me. Of course, if you have fewer utensils, you can get away with a smaller can.
(2) After washing & drying your can, paint it with an acrylic paint color of your choice.
(3) Then, choose your labels, and affix them with a glue of your choice. I'm a big fan of ModgePodge. Not only is it a great glue, but it's a sealant & perfect for decoupage. 
(4) For sealing, I added 3 coats of ModgePodge. 

utensils

My utensils are very happy in their new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment