Thursday, February 11, 2010

Second week of challenge

Well, this week of my pantry & fridge challenge was more complicated than last week. I did not break my grocery store rules (well, not really), but then again, I haven't been able to go to the store thanks to the below...


snow

Thank you Snowmagedon for making me miss going out for the Superbowl. However, I still ate proper Superbowl food - pizza & artichoke dip with chips. Though, I must confess these were not already in my freezer, but...it was the Superbowl - cooking would have made me miss the game (& the commercials). Thus, as I had legitimate reason to go out to dinner, I broke my grocery rules (sigh)(oh, I went before the snow arrived); it was worth it, but no more.

Thus far, my meals have not been great culinary endeavors - mainly, just opening bags from the freezer. One would think with all the free time I have had this week, I'd be a cooking maniac, but instead, it's made me lazy in the kitchen.

Today, I craved pancakes, but I cheated & used a Krusteaz oat bran mix (this was already in my pantry, I promise). I did, however, add blueberries - yum!


pancake2

Now, I'm definitely a homemade pancake type of girl, but I think I would actually buy this again, if on sale (of course, after my challenge). The oat bran provides a nice & not too sweet flavor, along with soluble fiber (heart healthy). I also get calcium & iron.

pancake1

The blueberries, of course, add antioxidants, phytochemicals, manganese, vitamins K,C, & B6, and even some dietary fiber. As a child, I always requested my pancakes without blueberries - clearly, I was crazy. My mother never let us use the real maple syrup (we got Log Cabin) on our pancakes (well, sometimes, she gave us small rations); now, I use nothing else (at the moment, it's by L.L. Bean). Ahh..., the joys of adulthood - 100% maple syrup, oat bran & blueberry pancakes for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment