Thursday, March 4, 2010

Picture frame makeovers

You can't find the perfect frame? Make the perfect frame with a thrift store makeover. Thrift stores often have a lot of frames for cheap, but you can't let the bad art scare you. The key is to find the style and size you want. Remember, glass can be replaced, and frames can be painted or stained. I found 2 remotely similar 5x7 frames at a thrift store for $1.41 for one, and $0.99 for the other.

ugly

After cleaning and sanding the frames, I painted them white. Then, I added a layer of yellow, a layer of melonish-red (I mixed it), and finally, a layer of red. My paints are just the cheap tubes of acrylic paint you find at craft stores, and used at full strength (you can thin them with water).

painting

Next, I used steel wool to lightly remove some of the paint to reveal the other layers. I wanted to add depth, and a somewhat aged appearance. For final touch, I rubbed beeswax on the frames for a protective layer, and a little shine.

frame

Of course, I am a bit biased, but I think the makeover was a success, and the frames make a nice pair.

frame1

No comments:

Post a Comment