Monday, May 31, 2010

Chocolate-orange brownies

The recipe for these chocolate-orange brownies caught my eye in the March Bon Appetite issue. I love a chocolate-orange flavor combination, so I couldn't resist. I was so confident in the brownies, I actually made them for a meeting (of course, I crossed my fingers). The orange flavor balanced well with the more intense dark cocoa I used (the recipe called for regular unsweetened cocoa, but I only had Hershey's special dark). The recipe also called for pecans, but my fridge only offered me the choice of almonds or walnuts, so I went with walnuts (not toasted). The brownies were moist, cake-like, and delicious.

This recipe can be found on pages 21-22 of the March issue for Bon Appetite in the R.S.V.P. section. It is adapted from the Homepage Cafe in Bozeman, MT.


Chocolate-Orange Brownies


nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 C boiling water
6 T natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 C packed dark brown sugar
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 C pecans, toasted, chopped
2 large eggs
10 T (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 T finely grated orange peel
1/2 t vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, Spray 9x9x2 inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray (I used a silicone pan). Whisk boiling water and cocoa powder is a small bowl to blend. Whisk sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Add butter, orange peel, and vanilla; whisk to blend. Whisk cocoa mixture into egg mixture. Add flour mixture; stir just to blend. Transfer to prepared pan.


Bake brownies until tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into 16 squares and serve.


Enjoy & thank you Homepage Cafe and Bon Appetite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment